Thursday, October 7, 2010

Common Experiences

It was interesting to discover some words from John Calvin as to his living arrangements. I had known of his need to sell some of his books on occasion, which I have emulated myself. But these words drew me closer to Calvin the man. Said, the Frenchman, ". . . I use the furniture that belongs to someone else.  Neither the table from which we eat, nor the bed in which we sleep,belongs to us." I hope the similarities do not end there. John Calvin is one of my heroes. His influence on me is incalculable. May his tribe increase, and may the cause for which he gave his life continue to grow and bring forth abundant fruit. It is comforting to know that men greatly used of God went through some of the difficulties I am facing. I hope that I can rise above these trivial concerns and impact eternity with rich dividends, even as the Genevan Reformer did before me!

The book from which the quote comes is Herman J. Selderhuis, John Calvin: A Pilgrim's Life. Translated by Albert Gootjes (Downers Grove, IL: InterVasity, 2009), p.220.

A highly recommended book!

En Christo
TZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment